My mother, who’s 78 at this writing, recently received a diagnosis of Parkinson’s disease. They were concerned about her tendency to fall forward, which is known to be an early Parkinson’s symptom, so they did the appropriate scans. Her father also had Parkinson’s, so this has been very much on our family’s minds, both for her sake and for our own.
I’ve been passionately interested in longevity for a long time – I signed up for a contract with Alcor to “Freeze me when I die” when I was 29. Over the last decade I’ve been more focused on lifestyle factors – diet, exercise, sleep, and supplements – to optimize my day-to-day health and improve my odds of a long, healthy life. So when I got the news, I immediately began researching the most effective lifestyle techniques for minimizing the effects of Parkinson’s (for Mom), and minimizing the odds of developing it (for myself and my sisters).
Rather than just pass it around the family, I’m putting it here, in the hopes that it’s of use to the millions of people worldwide who have Parkinson’s or are at risk. Many of these tips are useful for Alzheimers and other neurodegenerative conditions as well.
The quick summary is this: There’s a lot we can do to prevent these diseases, or reduce their impact on our lives. The steps we need to take are not hard; we just need to take them seriously.
- Understanding Disease Mechanisms
- Diet and Exercise (coming soon)
- Sleep (coming soon)
- Unhelpful Myths (coming soon)
- The End of Alzheimers, Dr. Dale Bredesen – turning Alzheimer’s disease around primarily with diet and lifestyle changes.
- KetoFast, Dr. Joseph Mercola – a straightforward description of a Ketogenic diet, its benefits, and a relatively painless way to incorporate fasting for even more benefit.
- Deep Nutrition, Dr. Catherine Shanahan – excellent general book on the systemic problems caused across generations by our use of vegetable oils, sugar, and grains, and our abandonment of certain traditional foods such as organ meats and cultured foods. Very detailed work on vegetable oil’s impact on the brain.